Quick Look: Stony Brook
Stony Brook (Click Images and Links for More Info)
(1:00 p.m. ET)
Seawolves fall in four sets to Villanova in season opener
University Park, Pa. – The Stony Brook volleyball team was defeated in four sets (23-25, 22-25, 25-18, 13-25) by Villanova in the Seawolves’ 2015 season opener Friday evening at Rec Hall on the campus of Penn State. In the defeat, Stony Brook falls to 0-1.
– Freshman Morgan Kath (Milwaukee, Wis.) tallied 33 assists in her first collegiate match.
– Freshman Taylor Wilson (Corydon, Ind.) recorded four blocks in her first match as a Seawolf.
– Senior Kathy Fletcher (West Chicago, Ill.) led the Seawolves with 14 kills and six blocks. Sophomore Cydney Bowman (Lake Mary, Fla.) added five blocks.
– Stony Brook outhit Villanova .318-.179 in the third set, a 25-18 victory for the Seawolves.
– The Seawolves rallied from down 23-17 in the first set to pull to within 24-23 before the Wildcats scored the final point of the set.
- The 2015 Seawolves have the benefit of four seniors on the 2015 roster, including two redshirt seniors in 5-11 OH/RMB Kathy Fletcher and 5-2 L/DS Lo Hathaway. 6-2 MB Stephanie McFadden and 5-6 Setter Nicole Vogel round out the group of seniors looking for the Seawolves’ first NCAA tournament appearance in Stony Brook’s Division I era which began in 1999.
- A total of 10 letterwinners return for the 2015 season as head coach Coley Pawlikowski begins her third year at Stony Brook. The 2014 team won 17 matches, the most for a Seawolves team since the 2007 squad that won the America East regular-season title.
- Three freshmen join the squad for 2015, as 5-8 MH/OH McKyla Brooks, 5-10 Setter Morgan Kath and 6-0 MB Taylor Wilson begin their Seawolves careers this weekend.
Around the World
- Six members of the Seawolves – head coach Coley Pawlikowski, associate head coach Dan Pawlikowski, seniors Stephanie McFadden and Nicole Vogel and sophomores Cydney Bowman and Courtney Scanlan – represented the United States in the 2015 European Global Challenge in Croatia this summer.
Quick Look: Villanova
Villanova (Click Images and Links for More Info)
(7:00 p.m. ET)
Villanova Opens Season with Win Over Stony Brook
University Park, Pa. – The Villanova volleyball team opened their 2015 season with a 25-23, 25-22, 18-25, 25-13 win over Stony Brook Friday evening in the Penn State Classic in University Park, Pa.
The Wildcats (1-0, 0-0 BIG EAST) were led by Allie Loitz (Bonita, Calif./Bonita Vista) who recorded a 17 kill, 12 dig double-double in her Villanova debut.
“Loitz is great. She’s just a really good all-around volleyball player,” said Villanova head coach Josh Steinbach. “She handles the ball well. She can block. She can do it all.”
“Playing the first match you’re trying to figure out what you’re good at and what you’re not good at,” continued Steinbach. “We saw some things that we’re good at which is a positive sign.”
University Park, Pa. – The Villanova volleyball team kicks off their 2015 campaign with a weekend road trip to University Park, Pa. and the Penn State Classic. The Wildcats first game will be against Stony Brook on Friday, August 28 at 5:00 pm. On Saturday, Villanova will play Buffalo at 10:00 am and will finish the weekend with a match against No. 1 Penn State at 7:00 pm.
Villanova, coached by ninth year head coach and Penn State graduate Josh Steinbach, recorded a 13-20 record last season and finished seventh in the BIG EAST, missing postseason play.
The Wildcats are led by preseason All-BIG EAST selection Lauren Carpenter. Carpenter led Villanova with 347 kills and 3.37 kills per set last season.